HISTORY of Shisha in INDIA (copied from Wikipedia)
The concept of hookah originated In India, once the province of the wealthy, it was tremendously popular especially during Mughal rule. The hookah has since become less popular; however, it is once again garnering the attention of the masses, and café and restaurants that offer it as a consumable are popular. The use of hookahs from ancient times in India was not only a custom, but a matter of prestige. Rich and landed classes would smoke hookahs.
Tobacco is smoked in hookahs in many villages as per traditional customs. Smoking a tobacco-molasses shisha is now becoming popular amongst the youth in India. There are several chain clubs, bars and coffee shops in India offering a wider variety of mu‘assels, including non-tobacco versions.
Koyilandy, a small fishing town on the west coast of India, once made and exported hookahs extensively. These are known as Malabar Hookahs or Koyilandy Hookahs. Today these intricate hookahs are difficult to find outside of Koyilandy and not much easier to find in Koyilandy itself.
The following are my views!
Shisha is a very popular consumable amongst school going kids (class 9th on) and college students in India. A basic shisha order would cost them a minimum of 150 and takes almost an hour and a half to consume one order. School going children prefer to go to shisha lounges while bunking their coaching classes and college students are not usually time-bound. Every other student who says no to shisha is usually teased by his/her peer group and ultimately tries it out for the sake of his/her reputation. It’s very addictive and very easily accessible and so usually the youth develops this habit of smoking shisha at a very small age. Girls are not left behind when it comes to the consumption of shisha.
More than 50% of my friends have never told their parents that they hang around at such places and consume shisha. they usually bunk their coaching and college (even I did twice) for such hang outs. 70% of these have the membership cards which provide them shisha at a cheaper rate. So, it will not be wrong to say that some of my friends buy their own losses at substantially lower prices than my other friends do!
Advantages of this habit
1. Helps in creating a so-called “cool” image among your so-called “friends”.
2. Helps in socializing. (This would be the last way to do so, for me at least)
Disadvantages of this habit
1. You are actually becoming a fool and those friends will not help you in establishing your career.
2. Most of the friends you make while wasting your time will not waste their time on you when you are in need.
3. The time that one should spend studying is “used up” while making smoke rings.
4. The discussions carried out in such rap sessions are usually meaningless.
5. Money – you burn your money with coal and smoke it!
There may be other harmful effects of shisha, which I’m not familiar with, at the moment. There must be many other disadvantages which I’m not aware of right now!
This is not all. I have many ideas for the question: Where one could possibly spend his/her time (the one that was about to be wasted while consuming shisha) instead of killing it?
- Attend your regular classes. (I know you will probably hate this idea)
- Complete all the pending tasks. (We all have this bad habit of procrastinating)
- Meet and talk to your grandparents. (They love it when they have someone to talk to)
- Teach your favorite subject in orphanages. ( It will help you create a self-positive image)
- Do a part-time job (and save the money for future use)
- Help your parents out in their regular tasks. (It will make them happier)
- Do something good for your own country. (You and I are the future of this nation, and we can’t blow this responsibility away as smoke)
- Create groups of people with similar hobbies and aims and hang around with them for similar activities. (You’ll get to learn so much, specially about your own potential)
- Read newspapers and magazines. (Knowledge is power)
- Play some sports and devote our time to our hobbies. (You’ll discover the better self of yours)
- Clean up your room, arrange your cup-board, wash your clothes once in a week. (It will make you independent)
- Go and meet your cousins and relatives. (Family supports you when no one else does and more than any one else)
- Visit old-age homes.
There is so much you can do, this is just a fraction of all the possibilities! Please suggest your friends not to kill their most crucial time in life by indulging in such activities. Once or twice in a blue-moon is okay, everyday consumption of shisha is not a healthy habit!